Whether it’s your first visit to an optometrist or a routine check-up, an annual eye exam can source numerous insights about your ocular and overall health. At Sunridge Optometry, we believe in a collaborative approach to eye care where the patient is not just a passive recipient but an active participant. We encourage you to ask questions, voice concerns, and participate in discussions about your eye health. Here are the essential questions you should be asking during your annual eye exam:
1. Is My Vision Normal for My Age?
2. What Can I Do to Improve or Maintain My Eye Health?
Your optometrist can provide personalized advice based on your eye health and lifestyle. This could include diet, exercise, screen usage recommendations, and more.
3. Are There Any Signs of Eye Diseases?
4. Is My Current Prescription Still Accurate?
5. Can You See Any Indications of Systemic Diseases?
Eye exams can often detect early signs of diseases like diabetes or hypertension. Ask your optometrist about this often-overlooked aspect of eye exams.
6. Are My Current Glasses or Contact Lenses the Best Option for Me?
Advancements in eyewear technology may provide options better suited to your lifestyle and visual needs. Discussing these options with your optometrist can help improve your quality of life.
Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your eye exam:
- Write down your questions in advance to ensure you don’t forget them during your appointment.
- Be open and honest about any symptoms or issues you’ve been experiencing.
- Inform your optometrist about your family’s eye health history.
- Always request a copy of your prescription after your exam.
At Sunridge Optometry, we’re dedicated to ensuring your eye health and optimizing your vision. We invite you to take an active role in your care by asking questions and seeking advice. To schedule your annual eye exam, contact us today!
- 1. American Optometric Association. (2020). Adult Vision: 19 to 40 Years of Age. Link
- 2. National Eye Institute. (2019). Keeping Your Eyes Healthy: Live a Healthy Lifestyle. Link
- 3. American Academy of Ophthalmology. (2019). Eye Disease Diagnosis. Link
- 4. Mayo Clinic. (2021). Eyeglasses: Tips to help you pick the right pair. Link